Arduino Contactless Thermometer with MLX90614 + OLED / LCD
Hello, and welcome to this tutorial, here I’ll use a MLX90614 (GY906) Infrared non contact temperature sensor, I’ll use it with a LCD i²c screen and OLED display, and I’ll measure temperature in °C and °F.
So, each object emits infrared waves depending on its heat, and these waves are detected using a thermopile which get hotter and hotter, in the same time converting the excess heat to electricity, you can learn more if you want read this Article.
Here are some information about the MLX 90614 sensor:
- Range for ambient temperature: -40 to 125 ˚C (-40 to 257 °F)
- Range for object temperature (non contact): -70 to 380 ˚C (-94 to 716 °F)
- Resolution: 0.02 °C
- Accuracy: 0.5°C for (0-50 °C) both ambient and object
You can use this sensor for medical and healthcare applications, home automation, or measure surfaces using a non invasive method.
If you need to check other temperature modules here are some articles:
- Interfacing DS18b20 with Arduino + LCD to measure temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Measure temperature/humidity using DHT11 + LCD i2c + Arduino
- Measure temperature/humidity using DHT22 + LCD i2c + Arduino
- Measuring temperature and humidity using AM2320 (DHT12 ??) i2c sensor
- Measure high temperatures with K-type thermocouple + MAX 6675 with Arduino
Here are the parts I’ll use, I used both LCD and OLED, and chose whatever suits your project, alongside I used a breadboard and some jump wires:
- MLX90614 (GY906) Adafruit library : Download here
- LCD i²c library: Download here LCD i²c NewLiquidCrystal library
- OLED libraries: – Download here Adafruit OLED SSD1306 library – Download here Adafruit GFX Library
- The first code I used is just the only example from the library
- LCD code: Download here
- OLED code: Download here
First we test with serial monitor only, I placed my hand over the sensor, you can see the difference
Test with LCD screen, and measure in Celsius
Test with OLED screen, and measure in Fahrenheit
This is pretty much all, if you have any problem leave it in a comment or contact me on FB page…
Yassine View All
Automation and Electrical Engineer, Electronics amateur trying to share my little projects.
One thought on “Arduino Contactless Thermometer with MLX90614 + OLED / LCD” Leave a comment ›